Sunday 3 July 2016

Narcissism

Hello reader, seems like I’ve made some mathematical ‘discovery’. Here:
     Assume any number x. The square of x is equal to the product of the difference between x and 1 and the sum of x and 1, all plus 1.
                 x^2=(x-1)(X+1)+1      for all x
See, this is actually easy because the terms in brackets will actually multiply out to become a difference of two squares, viz.: , which when you add 1 to simplifies to . But I never saw it this way, until I began to prepare for my exams on Control Engineering and was multiplying numbers like 7 and 9 and was getting 64( ) as the answer. I quickly checked for other numbers and the ‘theory’ still stood tall, so I ‘propounded’ it above.
Of course ‘mathematicians’ must have known this long ago, but I didn’t know. (I’m not a mathematician anyway.) Or I knew but didn’t understand, whatever that means. But I’m happy I discovered this myself and didn’t read it anywhere, and I admire my observance. Thank you for reading.

Nsukka, 02/07/16.

No comments:

Post a Comment